Elke-Sekonde-Tel op Facebook - Kliek op die Sonneblom en "Volg" ons Blad!!!

Sondag 08 Mei 2016

Does faithfullness really matter?


"Hello Tersia,

Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. 1 Corinthians 4:2

It was Sunday again.

As we pulled out of our driveway and headed in the direction of the building across town that we rented for our mission church, my daughter voiced the words that neither my husband nor I dared to say out loud:

"Why do we have to go to church again? No one is going to come. No one ever comes."

Sundays had become a personal test of faith and faithfulness. Mentally I tallied our efforts: All of the times we'd gone door to door. The thousands of tracts we'd distributed. The holiday special outreaches. The sweet bread Saturdays and Children's Bible Clubs...

For 95 Sundays we'd been doing this: putting the sign out on the road, sweeping the room, setting up all 20 chairs, laying out the hymnbooks... just to find ourselves the only ones there when the service started. Oh, we'd have a few curious visitors, but none truly interested in the transforming power of Christ's sacrifice or in regular growth and fellowship.

From a human perspective, there had been few "results" and it was very discouraging. How did those old time pioneer missionaries stay faithful year after year after year with so few results? And how could I encourage my daughter's faith when my own needed encouraging?

In that moment, I had a choice.

I could give in to discouragement. Doubt the Lord's leading and his plan, complain about how hard it was to reach people in our area for Christ, speculate on the reasons why no one came, and join my daughter in her gloominess.

Or, I could remember, recount and believe these truths:

The Lord is faithful
God rewards faithfulness in his servants
God is sovereign. He has a plan whether or not I see it at the moment
He does the saving, and the result giving not me
He gives the desire for growth and learning, not me
God didn't ask us to save souls or force people to congregate with us
But he had very clearly asked us to preach and teach others of himself (Mathew 28:19-20)
He had opened up this building in this place as a base for ministry locally
He had not yet showed us that he wanted us to stop meeting here
There is joy and reward in obedience
There is joy in trusting him to do what he has called me to do.
Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:24 (KJV)

I silently asked the Lord for help in responding, and then verbally walked my daughter and our other children through those truths, gaining confidence even as I spoke the words out loud.

Did it change our circumstance? No. Did we have visitors that night at our service? I wish I could say yes. Did we still long to see "results" and have fellowship with other believers? Yes.

But dwelling on our God and who he is, instead of on our circumstances and what we didn't have, allowed us to praise him as we continued to do what he'd asked us to do. And the singing, Scripture reading, preaching and fellowship among our own little family that evening seemed sweeter than ever for it.

I don't know what God has asked you to do, Tersia. Perhaps he is asking you to be faithful in something, even though you aren't seeing the results yet.

Perhaps he is asking you to trust him to be faithful. Perhaps he wants you to dwell on the glory and greatness of who he is instead of on your discouraging circumstance.

Don't think for a minute that the Lord has forgotten you. And don't think that your faithfulness and attitude are not important.

I had said in my alarm, “I am cut off from your sight.” But you heard the voice of my pleas for mercy when I cried to you for help. Love the Lord, all you his saints! The Lord preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord! - Psalm 31:22-24 (ESV)

Be strong. Have courage. Be faithful. Praise him for his faithfulness to you. Your faithfulness to praise him in a hard circumstance can change your own outlook and that of your children and those around you who see your struggle and will be encouraged by your example to faithfully trust and praise him too.

Blessings,

Katie"

Geen opmerkings nie:

Plaas 'n opmerking

Featured post

Nie goed genoeg nie!

  Stelling A: "You were born... pre-approved" Glo jy dit?  Stelling B: "You were unsuccessful..." Jy kán nie, jy is nie ...